Before the Fellowship Hall Addition
After the Fellowship Hall Edition
Patmos Sanctuary today
Patmos Parking Lot
Established in 1834
Patmos Church began in a log structure erected in 1834. The congregation was officially formed and met there beginning in 1839. The building was replaced in 1901 by a frame building, which continues to serve as the sanctuary. The building was subsequently re-modeled in 1959, 1978, and in 1994 when the Sanctuary, basement and pavilion were again remodeled and the Fellowship Hall was added.
Early in its history, Patmos was part of a five-point charge which included Patmos, Independence, Mt. Horeb, Huddleston and Providence churches. Quarterly meetings, held at a select church, would bring together members of all five churches for an all day gathering. Services would be held followed by a business meeting, and then a dinner and social time for all.
In 1992 the church became a station church which enabled the hiring of a dedicated part-time pastor. Currently Patmos is one of two churches in the Bethesda-Patmos Cooperative Parish with a full-time pastor serving both churches.
Prior to the church closings in 2020 due to COVID-19, weekly worship services were followed by a meal and social time in the Fellowship Hall. We hope to resume these gatherings when the church leadership along with the leadership of the Virginia Conference of the UMC determine we may do so safely.
As we slowly move into a Post-Pandemic ministry rhythm, we look forward to the new and familiar opportunities for worship that God is preparing for the Patmos community!